We know how much people keep a tap on latest government jobs, especially at the graduate level. While a government job helps building a stable career, it is also loaded with responsibilities.
Staff Selection Commission (SSC) is a Government of India organisation involved in recruiting staff at multiple levels in various ministries and Central Government departments, including their subordinate offices. Every year, the commission conducts a graduate level exam, commonly known as SSC CGL. This exam is one of the most coveted and sought after exams in the country.
As per the official figures, in 2015, as many as 17,86,047 candidates attempted this exam. Such a huge number merits the thought as what makes this exam so popular among graduate job seekers? Why should a candidate attempt this exam, when there are so many other career options to choose from?
Why take SSC CGL exam?
For most people, getting into a job seems like the obvious thing to do after completion of graduation. However, the top reasons for opting for SSC CGL are as follows:
1. Job safety: Central government jobs are secure and recession proof. The Indian government is seen as a stable employer, unlike many private sector establishments, where hire and fire work culture is there. Job prospects in public sector are relatively unaffected by the demand and supply forces prevailing in the job market.
2. Financial stability: Working in a government job comes with complete financial stability. The government is not expected to default on salary payments that are due to its employees. The payments are made on time and one does not have to worry about the salary not getting credited into the account.
3. Salary increments: Pay commissions regularly review the salary structure offered to Central Government workforce. Salaries in public sector go up, whenever the recommendations of a pay commission are implemented. In the recent past, these recommendations have been employee-friendly, thereby making Central Government jobs even more lucrative.
Read: Funny things people did during job interviews
4. Timely promotions: Seniority is a crucial factor in Central Government promotion policy. Due importance is given to the time that one has spent in the job. Employees get fairly rewarded on the basis of the experience they possess.
5. Work-Life balance: Cracking SSC CGL ensures that you will get into a job which offers wonderful work-life balance. Unlike the private sector, wherein performance on the job is of utmost importance, a Central Government job gives you ample time for personal enrichment.
6. Equal opportunities: Central Government is an equal opportunity employer in the real sense. It does not discriminate on the basis of caste, creed religion, ethnicity or any other parameter. The recruitments made are seen to be by and large transparent. One has to prove one’s merit in a competitive exam in order to get selected.
7. Social status: A person employed in Central Government enjoys a dignified standing in society. A lot of candidates attempt SSC CGL as they are not just after a well paying job but after the social esteem associated with the post. For many candidates taking SSC CGL is the first step towards their dream of becoming a gazetted officer some day.
8. Career progression: SSC keeps conducting grade-wise departmental competitive exams for existing Central Government staff members. This provides them with ample growth prospects. Superior performance in these exams can set a person on a path of accelerated career progression.
As more and more job seekers enter the job market, it seems the popularity of SSC CGL examination, can only increase further. Thus, if you are a probable SSC exam aspirant, it is best to get started as soon as possible.